Friday, August 13, 2004
How many websites have been created? What kinds of websites have been created? Which ones need a plan?
- It is estimated that there are now over 100 million websites.
- On the Google website today it states that Google is searching 4,285,199,774 web pages.
The websites fall into all sorts of categories including the following.
- Vanity sites - personal websites of primary interest to one individual.
- Forums - websites where members can post messages and interact informally.
- Content Sites - sites designed to deliver lots of content, like Google news
- Blogs - a Web Log or journal.
- Directories - a website that provides links to other sites, like the Open Directory Project.
- Online Brochures - website which is the equivalent of a print brochure.
- eCommerce sites - designed to sell online, a good example is Amazon.
A good website plan can help any website, but the emphasis here will be on business or organization sites. That includes both profit and non-profit organizations.